BY USING OUR SITE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS POLICY AND YOU EXPRESSLY CONSENT TO THE PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION ACCORDING TO THIS POLICY. YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY BE PROCESSED BY US OR ON OUR BEHALF IN THE COUNTRY WHERE IT WAS COLLECTED AS WELL AS OTHER COUNTRIES (INCLUDING THE UNITED STATES) WHERE LAWS REGARDING PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY BE LESS STRINGENT THAN THE LAWS IN YOUR COUNTRY.
WHAT WE COLLECT
We get information about you in a range of ways.
Information You Give Us. We collect your name, email address, username, password, and other information you directly give us on our Site. To post or respond to content on the Site, you must either: (a) create an “Account” by providing your name and email address or (b) connect to the Site through Facebook or another SN Site (defined below). When you communicate with us by sending us an email, we will collect and store any information that is contained in your communications with us. You are welcome to share as much information as part of your comments or responses you think is necessary and appropriate. If you include personal information in such comments or responses, we will not consider it to be personal information under this Policy.
Information We Get from Others. We may get information about you from other sources, including SN Sites. We may add this to information we get from this Site.
Information Automatically Collected. We automatically log information about you and your computer. For example, when visiting our Site, we log your computer operating system type, browser type, browser language, the website you visited before browsing to our Site, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times, Internet protocol (IP) address, and information about your use of and actions on our Site.
Web Beacons. We may log information using digital images called Web beacons on our Site or in our emails. We use Web beacons to manage cookies, count visits, and to learn what marketing works and what does not. We also use Web Beacons to tell if you open or act on our emails.
To be clear, “personal information” means contact information (i.e., your name, address, email address, and/or telephone number) and any other non-public information that is used or intended to be used to personally identify an individual, and any other non-public information that is associated with that information. “anonymous information” means information that is not used or intended to be used to personally identify an individual.
Our Relationship with Social Networking Sites
We have created and may offer you interfaces that allow you to connect with social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter (“SN Sites”) through our Site. We will work with the SN Site’s application protocol interface (better known as their developer API) in a way that allows you to authorize us to access your account on that SN Site on your behalf. In order to provide this authorization, you will not provide us with your user name or password to the SN Site, but you will need to log-in to that SN Site directly through our Site. Once authorized by you, the SN Site will provide us a token that allows the SN Site to recognize us when we ask, on your behalf, for access to your account information. You will be able to revoke our access to any SN Site at any time by amending the appropriate settings from within your account settings on the applicable SN Site, though such revocation may limit the features of the Site we are able to provide you.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your personal information as follows:
- We use your personal information to operate, maintain, and improve our sites, products, and services.
- We use your personal information to process and deliver contest entries and rewards.
- We use your personal information to respond to comments and questions and provide customer service.
- We use your personal information to send information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- We may use your personal information to communicate about promotions, upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by us and our selected partners, including through the serving of personalized advertisements, though we will not disclose your personal information in doing so. For example, we allow advertisers to choose the characteristics of users who will see their advertisements and we may use any of the non-personally identifiable attributes we have collected to select the appropriate audience for those advertisements. For example, if you tend to post and/or respond to book-related posts, we might use that interest to show you ads for new books (and to tell ad networks to serve those ads), but we do not tell any book publisher who you are to display the advertisement, though the book publisher may learn that you possess certain characteristics based on the fact that you received the advertisement.
- We use your personal information to link or combine user information with other personal information.
- We use your personal information to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
- We use your personal information to provide and deliver products and services customers request.
We may also use your personal information to create anonymous information by excluding information that makes the information personally identifiable to you.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share personal information as follows:
- We may share personal information with your consent. For example, you may let us share personal information with others for their own marketing uses. Those uses will be subject to their privacy policies.
- We may share personal information when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
- We may share personal information for legal, protection, and safety purposes.
- We may share information to comply with laws.
- We may share information to respond to lawful requests and legal processes.
- We may share information in an emergency. This includes protecting the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
- We may share information with a parent company, any subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under a common control (collectively, “Affiliates”), in the event we have such Affiliates in the future, in which case we will require our Affiliates to honor this Policy.
- We may share information with service providers who need it to do work for us.
We may also share aggregated and/or anonymized data in our discretion with others for their own uses.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Our marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.” If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your accounts and our business dealings with you.
You may send requests about personal information to our Contact Information below. You can request to change contact choices, opt-out of our sharing with others, and update your personal information.
You can typically remove and reject cookies from our Site with your browser settings. Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our Site works for you.
You can review and/or change certain of your personal information by logging into the Site. You authorize us to use and disclose any new or modified information that you provide in accordance with this Policy, and you agree that we are under no obligation to delete or modify information that you have previously chosen to provide us. Please know, however, that if we receive your name directly from an SN Site, you may not be able to change this information through our Site. You must change this information through the SN Site. Please remember, however, if we have already disclosed some of your personal information to third parties, we cannot access that personal information any longer and cannot force the deletion or modification of any such information by the parties to whom we have made those disclosures.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. We take steps to help protect personal information. No company can fully prevent security risks, however. Mistakes may happen. Bad actors may defeat even the best safeguards.
FEEDBACK. If you provide feedback to us, we may use and disclose such feedback for any purpose, provided we do not associate such feedback with your personal information. We will collect any information contained in such feedback and will treat the personal information in it in accordance with this Policy.
CHILDREN. The Site is not directed to children and children are not eligible to use our Site. Protecting the privacy of children is very important to us. We do not collect or maintain personal information from people we actually know are under 13 years of age, and no part of our Site is designed to attract people under 13 years of age. If we later learn that a user is under 13 years of age, we will take steps to remove that user’s personal information from our databases and to prevent the user from utilizing the Site.
THIRD PARTIES. This Policy addresses only our use and disclosure of information we collect from and/or about you. If you disclose information to others, including to other users, the use and disclosure restrictions contained in this Policy will not apply to any third party. We do not control the privacy policies of third parties, and you are subject to the privacy policies of those third parties where applicable.